Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Park it right there, Mister

Our apartment complex, thank God, just changed parking from assigned to reserved. Great news for us since our assigned space was a block away, all the way over in the North lot. We live on the Southern side of the South lot. So, of course, when we moved in in June they must have seen us coming with baby in tow and had to give us the parking space the farthest away possible from our building's front door. Every morning as I made my way to the car carrying the diaper bag, my lunch bag, my coffee, my work bag, my purse and the baby, I was afraid that eventually I was going to drop something...and I just didn't want it to be the coffee...

So last night, after finding a really great parking spot right next to our door--and being allowed to park there now!--I notice my husband staring out the living room window & making a funny face.

Me: What are you looking at?

Husband: Our neighbor

Me: What's so interesting about the neighbor?

Husband: The guy is looking at our car.

Me: Looking....like he's going to steal it?

Husband: No. I think I saw him sneer at our car because we parked in "his" spot. He doesn't own that spot anymore. It's not his spot!

The guy was apparently very angry with our car for parking in what used to be his assigned spot. I think the sneer was meant to pick a fight with the car. Cars have feelings too, you know. I guess he must have been too busy picking fights with defenseless cars to see Herbie The Lovebug. There really is a thing such as parking etiquette. Angry neighbor-guy should learn it. My only grave concern is that there will now be parking space wars. Stay tuned for this fascinating saga.

And for one of the most e-mailed news stories of the day... And I can see why. The headline is a real eye-catcher: Psycho Killer Raccoons Terrorize Olympia.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2342208
It gives new meaning to "unbiased journalism." And my only questions for the raccoons are these: Mr. Raccoon, did they actually test your mental faculties & prove that you are, in fact, "psycho?" And, Mrs. Raccoon, how does it make you feel when you hear humans say things about your babies like "We used to love the raccoons. They'd have their babies this time of year, and they were so cute. Even though we lived in the city, it was neat to have wildlife around, but this year, things changed. They went nuts." Does it bother you that they're using species slurs like squirrel puns in reference to your babies?

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott and Beth said...

Scott and I used to get so annoyed because we always had to park far away from our apartment building too! We didn't have assigned spots, but it just so happened that no matter what time we got home, EVERY spot was taken! I'm glad to have a spot in front of my door now.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Studio P Photography said...

Yep, I can't wait for the "front door" spot myself! Our old apartment was the same way with parking. We just happened to live at the end of the complex that had 1/2 the parking spaces compared to the rest of the buildings parking lots & we were expected to somehow all squeeze in!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home