Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Back to the Grind

Coming back from vacation is always a miserable thing. Not to complain at all about having been on vacation, but having to come back is one of those occurrences that reminds you why you went on vacation in the first place. Rather than feeling refreshed & rejuvenated & ready to go again, I long to be back on vacation rather than splitting my eyes on a computer screen all day. But, since the world is not a free place to live...here I am! What's a girl to do but plan the next one?

Eureka Springs is a very quaint town & it's nestled in the mountains (literally buildings built into the mountain-sides). This time of year is very pretty there, but rather than me trying to explain what it looks like, you'll just have to see some pictures! I have over 400 to go through & probably won't get through all until this weekend. But I'll try to post a few tomorrow or Friday.

This was our 3rd stay there (1st time was just a day visit while we stayed somewhere else) and we were booked at the Basin Park Hotel this time, but when we got there at 2am Saturday morning to check in (it was a much longer drive than what Mapquest said!) they had given our room to someone else & told us they had over-booked for that night. So, feeling a bit like Mary & Joseph with no room at the inn (only thankfully I'm not preggo) we were turned away. "Ohmygoodness! What did you do???" You ask? Well, thankfully, someone had cancelled at the Crescent Hotel (where we've stayed in the past) & this is their better, prettier, richer sister hotel, so they sent us up there & didn't charge us extra for their mishap in bookings. We ended up with a much nicer, very large, king suite in the hotel we'd really wanted to stay at in the first place! The only hitch was that our meal vouchers (part of our package at the Basin) couldn't (or wouldn't) be switched for the different hotel. So we had to either pay for our breakfasts in the Crescent & waste our already-paid-for meals at the Basin or drive down to the other hotel, park 3 blocks away & wait for a shuttle, or pay for closer parking & walk up the side of a mountain to eat breakfast. We complained but they "said" they "couldn't" do anything about it. Pretty big inconvenience since we weren't staying at that hotel & we ended up not being able to use all our vouchers. I hate that "buyers remorse" feeling of having wasted money. But I guess with the better room at the Crescent it all evens out in the end.

Still a really wonderful trip. Chris freaked out a little at the thought of getting a massage but I forced him & he ended up really liking it. & then I got to say "I told you so." & he said I was RIGHT! & that he was sorry he didn't do it sooner. ;o) We saw lots of new things & did some things we've never done down there before, most of which I have pictures to show for. We even got suckered into a couple tourist traps. One of which Chris asked me not to admit to anyone that we actually did. But I've got some crazy pictures of that too since I don't have any qualms about admitting we paid $11 for the crappiest & weirdest tourist attraction ever. It's in Ripley's Believe it or Not, but it should really be Ripley's Don't Do It! We got a great laugh at least!! :oD

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott and Beth said...

A very similar thing happened to us ironically enough on our anniversary at the Opryland Hotel. Only we waited about 2 hours before we could get a room. Oh well, we too got a free upgrade so I guess it all works out. Glad to hear you had a good time and I can't wait to see some pics!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home